Monday, March 13, 2017

Fishing Opportunities - Tillamook and Columbia River


We've got some fishing opportunities this week. I'm thinking we're going to have a decent week. This could be one of the better weeks in the entire year. I think steelhead fishing is going to be really good down the coast, and pretty much anywhere from the Umpqua north I think we're going to have fish.


We're going to have opportunities. I think you're going to find good conditions as well. You're going to have color. You're going to have pining on your side. I mean, March 10, c'mon. I'm fired up. I've got a ton of trips to run this week down on the coast, the Wilson River and the Nestucca River. I'm totally stoked.


There’s going to be some steelhead fishing to be done, and there are going to be some opportunities coming on this drop that are going to be pretty epic. It's going to be good.


I'm really fired up about how this season has gone. I'm fired up about how good it's been compared to what we were thinking it was going to be, and I'm pretty much in at this point to think we're going to see pretty consistent fishing throughout the month of March on the coast. No matter where you're fishing, I think you're going to find it.


Lock it up. Book it. If you're thinking about going, just go. I think you're going to find some pretty good fishing, and I'm going to show up with my Loomis rods, my float rods, and go have a ball.

Columbia River Spring Chinook

I just can't wait. I'm totally fired up. What I'm also fired up about - here's the other part - is that I think we're going to actually have salmon caught locally in the Columbia River this week. I'm not saying there will be tons. I don't think it's going to be a bloodbath by any means. But I think High Five's going to kick out a few fish. I think Davis might kick out a few fish.


Davis hasn't fished that well, the last few years. You know how things change. They do. Caterpillar has done better. Sauvies Island has done better. The Sauvies side is going to be muddied up. It's going to be primarily Caterpillar on up if we've got mud coming out of the Willamette.
But there are going to be opportunities as we get into this week. Think about it. We're getting into the middle of the month, the 15th, which is when a lot of guys really start hitting the Columbia. That's Wednesday. We're there.


The only thing that's not going to make it totally game on is that we've got 100,000+ coming back versus 300,000. We just don't have huge numbers coming back. But there's going to be some fish swimming around.


There are going to be some purple backs, some snow bellies swimming around. I'm going to be out there. I'm going to put in some time and get some hours under me. And if I do something, I'm not going to tell you. No, I'm kidding.


See, here's the thing about reports now. What is it going to do? I go out and catch two. What does that mean? Everybody else is going to go? You could go out and catch two tomorrow and not catch anything else for the week.


We know that's how that goes. You go out and catch a couple fish, you're just going to be stoked, and that's all there is going to be to it. But that doesn't mean you go out and catch a couple more the next day. If you do, hey, maybe you're onto something. Maybe you've got something going with your mojo that nobody else has got going.


Speaking of mojo, aren't springers when a lot of people put their mojo on it? They start monkeying with scents and all the stuff people do on springers. The dyed herring, this-herring and that-herring, and this works and that works and no, it doesn't and yes, it did last year.


Isn’t that springer fishing? Oh, it worked two years ago, and it hasn't since. That's just how it is. Give me a good - a good - herring and you're probably going to be okay. Just learn how to spin that thing. You're probably going to do just fine. People get into it. Hey, bottom line is there are things that work.


Guys get going on anis. Guys get going on garlic. Fishing for salmon. Whether it’s on the Willamette or the Columbia. These aren't secrets. Some years they work. Some days they work. The question is, is it just because? Is it just because it was that day and you happened to get in front of a few? Or did it actually do something?

I don't know. I'm going to find out. I know I'll have some gear with me. I've got my IMX 1174's rigged up. I'm going to have my Willie Boat. Got my Mercury Motors. I have a bunch of sharp Gami hooks, and some really good-looking baits. That's what I’m going to have as I hit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment